20050104

Neat Eclipse SWT trick

I've been rather underwhelmed by Eclipse's performance under Linux compared to Windows. Turns out the main problem is a huge mismatch between the widget model for SWT and that of GTK+.

Thankfully, somebody ported SWT to another free widget set, the FOX toolkit. It's available here. It works quite well as far as I can tell, although my tests were extremely basic.

I'll have to try it at work and see if Eclipse is usable on my workstation there.

Another nice tool I found (although it's probably well known, but I didn't know about it until a co-worker pointed it out) is xbindkeys. Unlike many other key binding programs, it works on key combinations for those of us who don't have an "internet" or "multimedia" keyboard (I have a much beloved but somewhat low-tech Fujitsu KB 4725, which is one of the few mechanical keyboards still manufactured, and I'm not giving up mechanical keyswitches for extra "internet" keys!)

I hope they'll be as useful to you as they were to me.

No comments: